On my way to Japan

I am sitting here in the shiny B concourse at Dulles, getting ready to fly to Japan. I am very excited about this trip--I think it is going to be my favorite of them all. I have been to Japan once before, but never Kyoto, which is the religious heart of Japan--full of temples and historic walkways. Buddhism is a long-standing love: it has the feeling to me of an old, familiar friendship somehow. I have been interested in Buddhism since my second class at Colorado College, freshman year (they are on the block plan, so you just take one intensive course at a time). It was on Thomas Merton, and we read several of his books in which he engages Buddhism. I remember being entranced, and that is how I am feeling now: the anticipation of enchantment. The cherry blossoms will be out, I think (fingers crossed), and I am looking forward to spending beautiful spring days in the contemplative space of zen gardens, peaceful Buddhas, and Shinto shrines.

I don't know what the Internet situation will be there--surprisingly, wireless isn't all that common in Japan. So, I am trying to let go of my mild-to-medium Internet addiction and relax about that. Do I really need to be connected the two days I will be staying at a Buddhist temple in Koyasan for example? (The answer is no, probably not.). So, the posts this trip may be more intermittent--we'll see.

Thank you in advance for accompanying me on this trip--I like feeling a part of this virtual community, especially when physically I am so far away.