An Experiment with Siri

So, I just read this story on Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/14/siri-religious-beliefs-iphone_n_4590708.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

It's about trying to get some theological answers from Siri--in light of the new movie, "Her," in which the main character falls in love with his operating system [haven't seen the movie yet, but I will when it comes to Gettysburg].  I thought it was funny--and thought I would try it myself, just to see what Siri would say to me.  It was an enjoyable experiment [and you can see the answers he gave me at the end of the post--in light of my last post, I thought Siri's answer to my first question was hilarious!], and I can't imagine anyone seriously asking a phone for these answers; but as I was thinking about it, I CAN imagine someone asking her phone:  "Where should I go to church this morning?" or  "What is the best Bible translation?"  I'm pretty sure I don't want Siri to be the definitive authority on either one of those questions.

And then I was thinking back to the Religion & Media course from last week, wondering how we talk to people in the church [especially young people!] about a constructive use of different media technologies that promotes the "life and life abundant" that Jesus proclaims--and also furthers in constructive ways the deep relationality we all crave.  I know we don't have any one solution to that, but at the very least, we should be having the conversations.  I want the youth of our church to ask their pastors these questions, not their phones--but in order for that to happen, we have to [intentionally!] create an environment in which they are encouraged and welcomed to do so.